In recent years, the exponential growth of telemarketing activities has led to an increase in unsolicited commercial communications, causing inconvenience and annoyance to mobile phone users. To curb this issue, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) introduced the Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) system for managing and regulating telemarketing communications. This innovative system aims to streamline communication, protect user privacy, and enhance the overall mobile experience. One of the key elements of this system is the registration process, which employs SMS and OTP mechanisms to ensure authenticity and compliance.
Understanding DLT Registration
The DLT registration process is designed to empower users by giving them control over the commercial communications they receive. It requires businesses and telemarketers to register their senders and content templates on the DLT platform. This registration process is pivotal in ensuring that only authorized and legitimate marketing messages reach the users’ mobile devices. Two essential components of this process are SMS and OTP.
1. SMS Verification
Upon initiating the registration process on the DLT platform, businesses and telemarketers provide their primary information. Subsequently, a unique registration ID is generated, which needs to be included in the SMS sent to users. The SMS should provide concise information about the business, its services, and the purpose of sending promotional messages. This step ensures transparency and helps users make informed decisions about allowing communication from the sender.
2. OTP Authentication
After receiving the initial SMS, users have the option to grant consent or opt-out from receiving further communications. If a user chooses to continue, they receive an OTP (One-Time Password) via SMS. This OTP serves as a second layer of authentication to verify the user’s intent to receive messages from the registered sender. It enhances security and prevents unauthorized or fraudulent registrations.
Benefits of SMS and OTP in DLT Registration
- Enhanced User Control: The SMS and OTP mechanisms put users in the driver’s seat, allowing them to decide which businesses can contact them. This empowerment reduces the annoyance of unsolicited messages and improves overall user experience.
- Transparency: By receiving information about the sender and their intentions, users can make informed decisions about allowing or blocking communications. This transparency fosters trust between businesses and customers.
- Security: The OTP authentication step adds an extra layer of security to the registration process. This prevents malicious entities from registering without the user’s consent, safeguarding user privacy and preventing spam.
- Compliance: The DLT registration process ensures that businesses and telemarketers comply with regulations. This results in cleaner and more legitimate communication channels, benefiting both users and businesses.
DLT Registration Operator List and URLs
Here is a list of DLT registration operators in India, along with their respective URLs where businesses and telemarketers can register and manage their communication preferences:
- VIL (Vodafone Idea Ltd.) DLT Platform URL: https://www.vilpower.in
- Jio DLT Platform URL: https://trueconnect.jio.com
- Airtel DLT Platform URL: https://www.airtel.in/business/commercial-communication
- BSNL DLT Platform URL: https://www.ucc-bsnl.co.in
- Videocon DLT Platform URL: https://www.videocond2h.com/dlt
It’s important for businesses and telemarketers to register with the appropriate DLT operator based on their telecom service provider. These platforms facilitate seamless registration, consent management, and communication preferences, ensuring compliance with TRAI’s regulations.
Cost and Time of DLT Registration
The cost of DLT registration is Rs. 5,000 + 18% GST, totaling Rs. 5,900. Additionally, the registration process typically takes a minimum of 7 working days. This investment is a small price to pay for ensuring compliance with regulations and establishing transparent and respectful communication channels with consumers.
Required Documentation for the DLT registration:
- Proof of Identity – PAN Card (Business PAN card)
- Proof of Address – GST Certificate, Certificate of Incorporation, TAN Certificate, FSSAI License, Import/Export Registration Certificate
- Letter of Authorization
DLT regulations will be completed in multiple phases. The first phase of the registration is to sign-up and complete the registration process on the DLT platform. Thus, Uengage requests every enterprise to register their business on the DLT platform for the smooth functioning of SMS marketing campaigns.
Uengage will update about the mandatory registration of every Header (Sender ID), Consent Template, and Content Template on the DLT platform.
Challenges and Future Considerations
While the SMS and OTP mechanisms are effective tools for DLT registration, there are challenges that need to be addressed. Network issues can sometimes lead to delayed OTP delivery, potentially hindering the registration process. Additionally, ensuring widespread awareness about the DLT registration process and its benefits is crucial.
As technology continues to evolve, future iterations of the DLT registration process might explore alternatives to SMS, such as mobile apps or secure web interfaces. These alternatives could provide faster and more seamless authentication while maintaining high levels of security.